We are excited to welcome our volunteers back!
TVH’s doors are fully open, and we are slowly getting back to normal. If you have questions concerning our vaccination requirements in 2023, please contact Annie Kennedy, Director of Volunteer Services.
Volunteer and help change lives.
Volunteers are the heart of The Home. They are our governing Board of Trustees, the Junior Board, and are made up of individuals, families, schools, businesses, and organizations that give their time and talents to better the lives of residents.
- Provide COVID-19 vaccination card (primary series only)
- Provide two negative TB skin tests performed one month apart (depends on individuals’ level of commitment)
- Flu shot (strongly recommended)
- Pass a criminal background check
Resident Companion: Many residents need assistance with leisure activities such as opening mail, watering plants, strolling in the park, organizing their rooms, playing games and writing letters.
Computer Assistant: Some residents need help with simple tasks like checking email, updating social media, playing games and searching the web.
Community Outing Companion: Along with staff from The Home, you can accompany residents to concerts, movies and other cultural venues and historical sites.
Department Assistance: Our therapy teams welcome volunteers for their ongoing programs and special events. Contact Volunteer Director with specific programs and times.
Special Events: We host a number of events every year and are always looking for extra helping hands (see calendar and check our ‘other events’ page).
Share your talents: We’re always looking for individuals and groups to come in and entertain with music, education, magic and more. Contact our Volunteer Department to discuss the opportunity to be added to our calendar. See our calendar and sign up for our e-newsletter “Around the Home” for specific outings that request volunteer assistance.
Volunteers are an important part of our organization and provide essential services and loving care to our 130 residents. Please take a moment to read the following guidelines prior to completing the application:
- The minimum age to volunteer is 16, unless accompanied at all times by an adult.
- Anyone committing to volunteer one or more hours per week will be required to have an annual TB test. This test is administered by our nursing staff at no charge. If you have had a TB test in the last twelve months, or if you prefer to be tested by your own physician, you may provide a copy of the results to us in lieu of being tested by our staff.
- Weekend and evening assignments are limited to experienced volunteers only. If you volunteer on Saturday, Sunday, or after 5 p.m., you will be required to first complete six hours of supervised training during regular business hours.
- Participation in some programs requires additional training conducted by staff.